The KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Government has availed three buildings that will ultimately see a total of over 1 600 community members, who were accommodated at nine halls, being moved to decent accommodation ahead of the Christmas holidays.
Premier, Nomusa Dube-Ncube, accompanied by Human Settlements MEC, Dr Ntuthuko Mahlaba and the Director-General of the KwaZulu-Natal Government, Dr Nonhlanhla Mkhize, facilitated the relocation of people housed in mass care shelters.
Handing over accommodation, located at Astra Building in Durban, on Tuesday, to 531 families, Dube-Ncube said government has been hard at work to assist communities to recover from the tragic events of the April and May 2022 floods.
She assured that in the next coming days, there will be no flood victim living in a mass care centre in the province.
“As government, we have mobilised all available resources and are undertaking every effort to ensure that as we rebuild and rehouse flood victims, no one is left behind.
“Three buildings are being made available today, starting with this Astra Building in Russel Street, O’ Flaherty Building in Sydenham and Pinetown Student Village,” the Premier said.
Other relocations planned for this week include Mpola Hall, which is accommodating 195 people; Rurafo Hall with 158 people; Isithundu Hill with 199 people; Marrianridge with 120 people, and Truro Hall in Pietermaritzburg, which is accommodating 23 families.
“In KwaDukuza Municipality, we closed five mass care centres last week and we are down to only four,” Dube-Ncube added.
She said the only remaining mass care centre in uMsunduzi will be closed this weekend, as they move the families to Transitional Emergency Accommodation (TEA).