Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) spokesperson, Clayson Monyela says South Africans stuck in Sudan are making their way out of the country.
“Our nationals and embassy staff are on their way out of Khartoum. I can’t disclose the security [details] and logistics of the operation. But they are moving out. We are in constant contact with them,” he revealed via twitter on Monday.
According to DIRCO, the total number of verified South African nationals who were stuck in Sudan is 77.
“They’re all in a WhatsApp group with embassy staff who are also still stuck there,” Monyela had said on Sunday.
The situation in Sudan continues to be volatile following a conflict that broke out last week between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). According to reports, tensions erupted during negotiations to integrate the RSF into the country’s military as part of plans to restore civilian rule.
“Our security agencies are far advanced with the evacuation plan. Fighting has not stopped, so it remains a dangerous operation. The airport is closed and all routes are not risk-free,” Monyela told media.
Meanwhile, the United Nations (UN) said over 400 people have been killed and more than 3 500 are injured in the fighting.